Saturday, 11 May 2013
Happy Saturday blogland! I was meant to post this yesterday but unfortunately life got in the way again making me late again. I've had an interesting week learning how to colour digitally and I used my newfound skills to colour in this gorgeous butterfly from Teri's Delicious Doodles for my DT offering this week. Now, simple as it may look, this little fella learned a lot of new, colourful language from me during the creative process. The theme this week is Anything but a card, and I had this brainwave, as you do when you're sitting outside in glorious sunshine! This year I have been making a lot of my own garden decorations and I was thinking "wouldn't it be lovely to have a nice suncatcher-style mobile with lots of butterflies on" and that's how this week's project began. Having mastered the colouring process, I then copied my butterfly and pasted it a number of times, changing the sizes from quite small to huge. I printed my first batch out onto overheads but unfortunately the colours just bled and looked a mess. So I ended up taking a printout into work and photocopying them instead. This time they looked great - so great that I cut a number of them out and stuck them onto my classroom window to brighten up my Spring Display!
I digress - having now successfully printed out my acetate sheets, I set about cutting them out. I did put glitter glue on a few wings, which instantly fell off the moment it dried! So then I began threading them onto invisible thread. This wasn't as painless as it might sound either as I ended up with a very sore finger and a lot of blood dripping! First string of my mobile finished I proudly held it up to the light.......... Uh oh! I completely misunderstood the rules of mobiles! My butterflies just pointed straight up to the skies - I didn't take into account the balance. D'oh. So I tried again using TWO strings of invisible thread - still no success. By this time, I had spent so much of my week with my batch of butterflies, one way or another, I threw the towel in and as time was running out I set about thinking of what else I could do with them. Then I had another brainwave (I've actually had quite a few this week!!) and I dug out this old basket which I rescued from going onto a skip many years ago. I loved it for it's rustic-ness and every Christmas it gets an airing when I fill it with aroma-soaked pine cones and tartan bows. But I decided to give it a facelift.
Well that's my lot for now. Thank you for stopping by and I hope you like what you see. I'm going to go and try and find a place for the other 16 butterflies that I have cut out now! If I find a suitable home, I'll be sure to show you where they've adorned! Have a great week. :o) xx